Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Art quilt experiments

I dyed a piece of fabric awhile back using CD's and spring clamps to resist the dye:
I set about to quilt and embellish it, but got bogged down after awhile, and it went into the UFO pile.
I decided to pull it out yesterday and cut it apart to see if I could create a series of various sizes. Here are some of the pieces on the design board:


Unfortunately, the stitching doesn't show up very well, but I created closeups that might help:

My plan now is to finish the edges, add more embellishments where needed, then possibly mount on black fabric that is stretched over stretcher bars, or on canvas that has been painted black. And I have some other pieces left that I can also finish in this manner. I'll post more when I have completed some of the pieces. I'm calling them my 'CD Distortion' series, although I'm sure some would look at them and think of SciFi eye monsters!

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

These are cool!

Connie Rose said...

They're wonderful, Judy. I love them smaller, a little series. Really great!

Rayna said...

Ah - the courage to cut someting apart and make it into a series! Nice going.

Flamingo K said...

I love these, Judy. Great idea!