Monday, May 23, 2011

Update on Taos Art Quilt

I can't believe I haven't posted about this project since last December!  But then it languished in my studio for quite some time, while I worked on several other projects.  However, I am hoping to have this complete in time to submit to this year's Prelude Exhibit at Coconino Center for the Arts... take-in day is August 2nd, and I need to decide if I want to mat and frame this piece, or complete it as an Art Quilt.  Here is a picture of how it looks now:
I really like the idea of leaving it as a flat piece, rather than adding batting and a backing and stitching... that would make it more 3-dimensional, but I am concerned that it would detract from the design.  On the other hand, I am not well-versed in the technique of blocking, and having it matted and framed would add to the cost.  If I sell it at Prelude, they take a 30% commision, so I would have to up the price to make it worthwhile.  Guess I'll have to give myself a deadline for deciding, because take-in will be here before you know it! 

No comments: