Friday, June 14, 2013

Which one?

For the past 4 or 5 years, I have participated in the annual Flagstaff Open Studios Tour... a two-day event with an average of 75 artists who participate at about 40 studio locations.  To kick off the event, we have a 'Prelude' Exhibit at the Coconino Center for the Arts, starting with an Opening Reception.  This year it will be Saturday, July 27th.  Each participating artist is allowed to show one piece, representative of their artwork to allow patrons to see their art and decide which studios they would like to visit during the Tour... we are spread out all over Flagstaff and the county, so it's a challenge for patrons to get to all the studios!
Having said all that, I have been working for several months on two fiber art pieces, thinking that one would be suitable for the exhibit.  I finished them both yesterday, and now I have to decide which one I will submit:
"Snippets and Squiggles" is done using raw-edged applique, machine and hand stitching with a few buttons as embellishments.  I stitched it directly to batting, then zig-zagged the outer edge.  It is mounted on gallery wrapped black canvas.  Dimensions are 16" x 20", mounted.  Fabrics are a combination of commercial prints and hand dyed fabrics.

"Carnival" is a batik fabric that I have embellished with hand stitching and beaded accents.  The batik fabric was backed with solid color fabric, and I fused the outer edges, then mounted on a 12" x 12" gallery wrapped black canvas.
I have not yet determined what price I will be asking, but each piece took at least 20 hours from beginning to end.
I would love to hear input from anyone who wants to give me their opinion.  Right now, I'm leaning toward "Carnival", because I think it has more artistic merit.  But whichever doesn't go into the gallery will be offered during Open Studios, so they will both be available.  I just know that a larger crowd will see whatever I put in the gallery.  I'm very glad to have 2 to choose from, and that I have finished them so soon.... now I have time to beef up my stock for Open Studios, as well as a slew of other things I'm working on!

3 comments:

ann vanherle said...

Number 2 is my favorite!!

Lynda said...

Judy, Carnival is my favorite!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love them both and don't think you could go wrong with either one. My favorite, though, is the first because it is more saturated with color. Congrats on being on the tour!