The pattern called for making straps that would encircle the bag on both sides, but I realized I had some grosgrain ribbon that would do the trick, so that saved some time and effort. I ended up taking tucks on the top of each strap to shorten them, and that added a little stability to the straps where they rest on my shoulder.
Here is the bag loaded with my stuff.
I made 3 pockets - one is split in half and is just big enough for my keys and a few other small items.
On the other side of the inside are two pockets - one is split in half, and carries my cell phone and lipstick. Then over that and slightly below, I made a pocket large enough for my check book. Then the bulk of my stuff is in the main part of the bag.
What I loved about making this purse is that it helped me to finally get past the block I have had for so long! And I learned how much I really do know about constructing purses and pockets. I plan to test this design for awhile and make sure it works well, then hope to make several over the next few months for the craft shows I will be selling at this year. I have plans as well to test a messenger bag, although I don't think I will use flip and stitch for that style.
Lesson learned - it's time to stop letting bad experiences from my younger days of learning how to sew get in the way of doing what I want to do! Maybe it's time to try zippers again!