I really like how this came out! I used 'flip and sew' to attach the fabric to batting and backing. Then I used free-motion quilting to enhance each piece. I still need to attach a tab with velcro, but I think I'll leave that for tomorrow... thanks again to Beth for all her help and inspiration! She's a very lovely and talented lady I met on "...And Then We Set it on Fire". If you haven't visited yet, you should check it out! Lots of inspiration to be found there!
Thursday, December 20, 2012
First off, I need to give full credit to Beth Berman for what you are about to see... check out her wonderful post here. You will find a great post describing an ipad cover she made for a friend! I fell in love with it, and decided to try my hand at making something similar for my new laptop. I dove into the fabric stash, and came up with a combination of hand dyed fabric and commercially dyed/printed fabrics, then I set out to make the quilted piece for the cover. I spent several visits reviewing Beth's work and analyzing the process she used to construct her cover. Finally, this morning I was ready to assemble my cover. I hemmed the top edges of the cover. The straps were made and attached to the cover, then I stitched up the sides. I then discovered that I had not made the cover wide enough to allow the laptop to be placed inside... oh, no! I quickly e-mailed Beth for ideas, and she came up with the perfect solution! I quilted 2 strips - one to be added to each side of the cover. I ripped out the seams on the sides and part of the hems on the top edges. Then I aligned the strips of quilted fabric with the sides, edge to edge. I used my zigzag stitch to attach the strips, then I covered the zigzags with a strip of fabric with raw edges folded under. I re-measured the width, trimmed off the excess fabric, re-hemmed the top edges, then seamed the sides. Aah... now it fits! Here are pix of the front and back: