The scarf was dyed first, using Procion MX dyes. Then I applied soy wax to resist the next layer of color. I used a pattern similar to one Beth mentioned in her post, only I applied the wax with a foam brush in a basket weave pattern... Beth used an antique potato masher on her scarf. The photo above shows the scarf laid out on my work table with plastic and newspaper underneath.
Here is the scarf after I applied the Dy-Na-Flow. I used black, and applied it with a car-wash sponge that I cut down to fit into a margerine tub. I used my rubber gloves, thank goodness, because paint is just as hard to get out as dye, and I definitely would have had black hands if I hadn't worn the gloves!
I let the paint dry, then I used a hot iron and pressed it between sheets of newspaper to remove the wax and heat-set the paint. Then I washed and dried again.
Here it is! I'm so happy with how it came out, and can't wait to do more projects with Dy-Na-Flow! Thanks, Beth!