I used a couple of small artist's straight-edge brushes and applied first the lemon yellow, then golden yellow, soft orange and scarlet to the leaves in a random fashion. I got a lot of nice crackling from the wax that created good visual interest on the leaves. After the dyes have 'batched', I will wash the piece out. Then I may wax over the leaves and add some more browns to the background to enhance it. I'll post again when I have more progress to report.
Friday, November 30, 2012
Dye painting the Autumn Leaves
Today, I painted dye on the leaves of the piece I posted about yesterday. I was going to use thickener to restrict the flow of the dye, but decided against it. I really wanted a watercolor effect, and that requires the dyes to flow freely. So they did flow into the background some, but I'm not worried about that. All the colors I used are lighter than the background, so they should not create a problem. Here is how it looks now, with the dyes still wet: