Thursday, November 29, 2012

Autumn Leaves batik... the next step

After I posted the picture yesterday of the leaves I traced on fabric, I coated them with melted soy wax to act as a resist to the dye I then applied to the background.  Here's how it looked after I applied the dye:

So the next step was to be painting the leaves with thickened dyes, which I began a little while ago.  Oops!  I goofed!  I'm doing this in a different sequence than normal - I usually pre-dye the item before tracing the leaves on, then wax, then overdye.  For some reason, reversing the process made me forget I need to pre-soak the fabric in a soda ash solution and allow to dry before I add the dyes to the leaves.  Sigh... guess it will sit overnight, then I can wash out the small amount of dye I already applied, soak, dry and start over.  Good thing I didn't have anything planned for tomorrow!
On another note, I ordered a new product today called Batik-EZ by Crafter's Pick.  Can't find it locally, so I found an on-line source.  It is supposed to be another way to resist dyes and paints without having to deal with melting and applying wax.  I'll let you know how it works when I have a chance to give it a try!  

3 comments:

ann vanherle said...

This fabric is so beautiful!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thank you, Ann. I love autumn leaves, and I'm always doing something with batik and the autumn leaves theme. I will post more on this piece as I continue working on it.

Carol R. Eaton Designs said...

I'm enjoying your process! Thanks for sharing all of it and not just the finished piece! Can't wait to hear more about your new batik product.

Carol