No matter which way I put them, I like how they look! Can't wait to see how I end up using them. The first one in the top photo has: purchased fabric, hand dyed, purchased, rust dyed, purchased. The second one has fabric I bought from Melly Testa, purchased, hand dyed, and the last two I just got at Jo-Ann fabrics. What I did to prepare was pull several fabrics from my stash, and auditioned them on my cutting table until I got a layout I liked. Then I just cut and sewed. I'm still getting used to cutting with my rotary blade without using my straight-edge yardstick... a little tricky, but I'm getting more used to it. Practice, practice, practice!