I posted a picture awhile back of an assymetrical top I batiked using my 'Autumn Leaves' design. Unfortunately, when it got to my friend Patty, she discovered it was too small. So she asked me to create the same design on a rayon poncho. No problem, I thought! Only I found out the hard way that soy wax on a loose-woven garment doesn't work as well as a resist as it does on cotton jersey. After overdyeing, I washed out the garment and discovered that the browns had all but covered the leaves that were supposed to be protected by the wax! Rats!!! Well, I decided that the only possibility for saving the project was to use discharge paste to recreate the leaves. I could barely make out the leaves, but slowly painted on the discharge paste, let it dry, and steamed. Here are the results:
The design is more muted than it was on the cotton top, but I'm pleased with the overall appearance, and hope Patty likes it too! Next time, I'll know that if I want to batik on rayon, I need to do multiple layers of wax!