Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shibori experiment continued


As promised, here is a picture of the stitched shibori shirt I posted about yesterday. The sleeve on the left of the picture and the body of the shirt on the right side are done using the mokume stitch, which resembles woodgrain. Diagonally down the center, I used the karamatsu stitch, which is concentric circles stitched on a fold. The rest of the shirt is scrunched, and I dyed it using low water immersion. Below are some closeup shots:

My impression overall is that combining the patterns made the shirt too busy. However, I do love the individual patterns, and will be continuing to experiment and improve my skills in these methods.



5 comments:

Chris Daly said...

I love the way the Mokume stitches turned out. I purchased a copy of the book you mentioned in an earlier post. I've been dreaming of board clamping and stitching ever since. Thanks for the great advice!

mzjohansen said...

WoW I like that a whole lot! I am totally into gray too thoug. WOnderful job!

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Great job, Judy!

Judy Alexander said...

This is really a beautiful shirt. Still haven't tried fabric dyeing...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks, Judy. Dyeing is a messy art, but I'm so jazzed by the colors and patterns I get that I don't mind a bit!