Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Prickly Pear Cactus

This project still has a ways to go before completion, but I thought I would share what I have done so far:
This is based on a photo I took several years ago at the Arboretum in Arcadia, Ca. It's a cactus planted in front of a wall, with foliage in the background. There were some palm tree trunks on the right side, but I opted to leave them out of the composition. I used hand dyed fabrics and fused the pieces to a foundation using wonder under. I am currently hand-stitching the stickers, and I am using copper colored beads for the raised areas that form at the base of the stickers. As you can see, I have a ways to go before I will be done with this step. Then I need to decide if I want to mount this on a canvas, finish with a binding, or use another method to finish it... undetermined at this time. At any rate, I have had to squeeze this project in when I had a moment or two... I have been busy moving my tie-dye business to ArtFire.com, and believe it or not, I have about 153 pieces in the new shop, and probably have at least that much left before I am done! Whew! Come by and visit when you have a moment... at www.tiedyejudy.artfire.com. Later...

3 comments:

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Lovely, Judy. Can't wait to see it when it's done. What made you decide to move over to Art Fire?

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks, Michele. I will post the final result when I get it done.
As for ArtFire, I like it because it is a flat monthly rate, as opposed to a per-item rate + commission. I currently have over 150 items posted to my store, and never could have afforded that at Etsy. ArtFire is relatively new, but so far I'm impressed by the organization and hope to grow with them.

Anonymous said...

Your store is impressive Judy! I've just been to visit. Good luck with it all and with finding time to complete the quilt!