Thursday, October 2, 2008

Look what I got!

Okay, so.... for my birthday I decided to by me a present... a compost bin! Now that I'm RETIRED I have time to putter, which has always been one of my favorite things, especially in the yard! Here's my new bin:

It was a little tricky to assemble, but with the help of my hubby, we got it done and I started putting stuff into it. I printed out a really neat guide to get me started, and I had already begun to amass coffee grounds, peelings, egg shells, etc. Of course, the yard has so many things I can add. The guide is great for identifying whether the items to be composted add carbon or nitrogen to the mix (chemistry was never my strong suit!), and gives recommendations on the order you should layer the matter. I'm really excited, and can't wait to be able to use the compost next spring! So now, I have eliminated a whole bunch of stuff from the landfill, and added nurishment to the garden, all for a very reasonable cost... wow! Putter... putter....

No comments: