Friday, April 4, 2008

The Importance of Creativity for Children and Other Living Things

Below is a quote from Sir Ken Robinson, "an internationally recognized leader in the development of creativity, innovation and human resources,":

'What TED celebrates is the gift of the human imagination. We have to be careful now that we use this gift wisely, and that we avert some of the scenarios that we've talked about. And the only way we'll do it is by seeing our creative capacities for the richness they are, and seeing our children for the hope that they are. And our task is to educate their whole being, so they can face this future -- by the way, we may not see this future, but they will. And our job is to help them make something of it. ~ Sir Ken Robinson'

This struck a chord in me, especially the part where he says 'we may not see this future, but they will'. My mother Christina, who died at the age of 42 when I was 10, was the primary force behind the awakening and nurturing of my creativity. She started working with me early, teaching me how to draw, giving me encouragement as I grew to love 'making things'. So often when I am working on a project, especially when I am pleased with how it is coming along, I think of her. She did not live to see the outcome of the seeds she planted in me, but I do, and I think her love and encouragement are still driving forces behind my efforts. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

Jane LaFazio said...

oh my. 42. And you only 10. How lovely that she influenced you so strongly in that short time. My dad was my creative influence, I realized later in life, and I saw him less than once a month, growing up. Aren't we lucky to have those influences?