Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Welcome to Autumn!

I love all the seasons, but have a special place in my heart for Autumn.  Some of my favorite early memories are of me helping my mom decorate for Halloween, and loving the autumn leaves as they turned glorious yellows, oranges and reds before falling from the trees.  Over the years, autumn leaves have been a recurring theme in my work, and this year is no different.  recently, I custom dyed an Autumn Leaves batik shirt for a dear friend:
And as I have done in past years, I decorated a couple of my coiled fabric bowls with fabric autumn leaves:



I actually made up a number of leaves before making the bowl and lid above, so I have lots left over for other projects!
Several years ago, I did a couple of Autumn Leaves batik art quilts, and still have one hanging in my office:
I made a few coiled bowls that I plastered and painted, with Autumn leaves themes:
And a few years back, I made some framed Autumn Leaves pieces:




Now I'm looking at ideas on pinterest for other ways to use autumn leaves in my work... obsessed?  Maybe!  But they have been a strong influence on my work for many years now, and will probably continue to crop up in my art.  Can't beat Nature for inspiration!





3 comments:

Beth said...

I too love leaves even not in fall!! The T-shirt came out great and I love the bowls. Looking forward to seeing more fall leaves creations

Sherrie Spangler said...

That T-shirt is so gorgeous! It really does say fall, with low sun making the leaves glow.

Jeanne Aird said...

Wonderful fall inspired creations. I especially like the top T shirt. What was your technique on that to get the leaf shapes around the neckline?