Thursday, January 25, 2018

Adventures in Mixed Media

I shared in my last post about some of the mixed media techniques I have begun to explore.  I am continuing my explorations, and think this year I will finally make enough progress to be able to use the techniques in my art. 
I ordered a wonderful DVD by Carol Nelson, "New Approaches to Mixed Media Materials", and really love what I have learned so far!  I'm sure I will watch it again many times as I try the different techniques she demonstrates, and hope to have some examples to show here soon.
While I was waiting for the DVD to arrive, I browsed my bookshelves and discovered I had a Cloth Paper Scissors Book "Techniques and Inspiration for Creating Mixed-Media Art" by Barbara Delaney.  As I flipped through it, I found an article "Paper Collage Quilts" by Annette Morgan, and rediscovered a section I found inspiring when I first read the book, giving ideas and instruction on making a long panel using fabric, torn paper, dyed sticks, and hand stitching.  I was ready to give it a try, using painted papers I did last year, along with some twigs from the yard that I dyed, some paper and fabric beads, painted corrugated cardboard and stitched embellishments.  Here is my first one:


I hope to find a shadow box to display it in.  The finished panel is about 5 1/2" by 13", which is small, but it is a great size for trying the technique out.  I have another one partly completed:

It's a challenge to decide how to embellish in a way that will add to the visual interest, but also enjoyable as I see the piece change and become more of a piece of art.  
I look forward to continuing my journey, and will add more posts as I continue learning these wonderful new techniques!  Stay tuned...


2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I really like your mixed media piece. It may inspire me to slip some paper and other materials into my quilts.

Beth said...

Oh good! Looks like you are having a ball! Party on.....