Monday, July 14, 2014

Something new

I have been going in a new direction lately, combining a couple of techniques to come up with something a little different.  As you may know if you have been following me the past couple of years, I have been making coiled fabric bowls for awhile, then recently I took the process in a different direction and began making coiled bowls that I then coated with plaster and painted.  The first few were simple - create the bowl, coat it with plaster, paint with gesso, stamp on some designs, and seal.  I have also been working on more complex shapes involving multiple segments that had to be hand stitched together after I created them... all good ways to stretch and grow, creatively.  Well, I decided recently to take this process even further and try painting on one, as I would a canvas.  It's been quite awhile since I did much painting, but I envisioned something that I just had to try... worst case scenario, I could always paint over it if my idea didn't come to fruition.  Well, today I put the finishing touches on it, and I think I'll let it stay as is:

I used photos I took at Monument Valley in 2001 as my inspiration.  It was a little awkward painting on a curved shape, but I am pleased with how it turned out, and will probably try more in the future.  Now I just need to find some mesquite branches to put inside!  And I also need to plan another trip to Monument Valley... if you have never been, it's awesome!


Beth said...

Judy. Your pot is awesome! I like the way you executed the painting and I think it will look great with branches in it!!

Laura McGrath said...

This looks great, Judy! It's like me and my fascination with making felted vessels, it's such a mental break from sewing/quilting stuff.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks, Beth & Laura! And I did post a picture on FB yesterday showing the pot with branches in it... I think it really adds a lot to the overall appearance of the piece. Laura, I wanted so badly to be a potter when I was younger, and just couldn't manipulate the clay the way I wanted. This is a much easier path to creating the type of vessels I wanted, and is a nice combination of fiber and other media... my way of 'thinking outside the box'! ;-)