Thursday, May 29, 2014

Evolution of a process


Several years ago, before I started my tie-dye biz, I used to paint objects - cigar boxes, flower pots, you name it!  Trouble is, they weren't big sellers, so I moved on.  But I always loved doing them, and recently decided to ease back into mixed media a little.
Below is a display of my painted wares circa 1997,

And this is a prayer plant (my design) in a hand painted clay pot... using one of my favorite themes, autumn leaves. 

If you have been following my blog for awhile, you know that I have been busy the past couple of years making coiled fabric bowls, first as a stash buster, but later because I love the process as well as the results. This is a sample of one of my typical bowls:

Well, somehow my brain cells collided and I decided to take the bowls  in a different direction, and here is the result of my first efforts:


I have combined the coiling process with mixed media to create a bowl with a hard surface, which allows me to paint it.  I decided to go back to the autumn leaves theme for this one, and I'm pleased with how it came out.  After I took these photos, I applied Polycrylic sealer to protect the finish.  I ended up using a high gloss, which is okay, but I think I would prefer the more subtle look of the matte finish shown here for future efforts.  And trust me, there will be more of these!  Stay tuned...



2 comments:

Beth said...

What great results. That was a brain storm!!

Linda Stokes said...

what a fabulous combination of 2 techniques!