Monday, May 13, 2013

Nocturnal visitors and Greenhouse update

This morning, my hubby and I took our usual walk around the square (we live on a dirt road out in the boonies!).  About halfway down our property line, I started noticing elk prints.  We are about a mile from the treeline, and they sometimes come through the area, but I haven't seen any in awhile.  Anyway, we got back to the house, and did our circuit around the perimeter of the property, and I saw quite a few more prints:
This one was in soft dirt out front of our driveway... not the largest I've seen, but you can get an idea of the size next to my foot.  These guys are at least 5 1/2 feet tall at the shoulder when they are fully grown, and it's pretty awesome to see a herd of them meandering through the neighborhood!
On another note, I have been adding to my greenhouse population and doing a little maintenance outside:



I got cinder rock laid around the pavers this morning, so that should keep the weeds out along with the weed cloth.  I've been hauling a lot of dirt over to behind the garage, then brought the cinder rock from a large pile next to the garage... great exercise!  My shoulder was a little sore last night, but it's fine today, so I'm good to go.  Oh, and I ordered a trellis yesterday for some cucumbers I'm going to plant in one of my outdoor planters, and it will provide some shade for lettuce that I will be growing there as well.  I may finally be able to make salads this year from my own home grown produce... woo-hoo!  


No comments: