I tore a strip from some newspaper I had nearby, and used a small paintbrush to apply the gel medium to the back of the paper, then gently smoothed it down over the card stock. Next, I tore a piece of corrugated cardboard to create irregular edges, then removed some of the kraft paper covering the corrugation to expose the texture. Again, I used the medium to attach to the card stock. Then I took a piece of cheesecloth, removed the finished edges, poked holes in it along the length, then positioned it diagonally across the cardboard and paper. I dabbed the gel medium through it with the brush. And finally, I took some scraps of the craft paper from the cardboard, rolled them, dabbed the end with glue, then applied a little more to the bottoms, and placed them on the card stock. I realize this is kind of a bland piece, but again, this is my first step into doing these techniques, and I'm more interested in learning how right now, than I am in creating finished pieces.
Next, I decided to create some 'distressed' papers, with the idea of testing how they work in making grounds for dimensional pieces. I used newspaper, brown paper bag, aluminum foil, parchment paper and glossy magazine paper.
Wadded up once, then smoothed out.
More wadding up needed!
Part of a brown bag before being distressed
One of several iterations
Pretty well distressed, with some tearing
This doesn't take a lot... I have had tons of pieces of foil in my past that looked just like this!
Parchment paper after a few rounds
A glossy magazine page. The photo was pretty busy, so it's hard to see the crinkles to well in this one.
That's all I had time for today, as we are going to town for several hours, but I'm trying to get in at least a little time each day on this. So you will be seeing more posts soon, as I continue my journey!