Friday, January 4, 2013

Flip and Stitch Table Runner

Recently, I used the 'Flip & Stitch' method to create a carrying case for my new laptop... it had been a while since I had used this method to create anything, and I had forgotten how much fun it is.  So I decided to use that method again when I wanted to make a new table runner for our dining room table.  I had just organized my fabric stash by colors, so it was fairly easy to select a group of fabrics I could use, and I had a piece of batting large enough, as well as some muslin for the backing.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any 'in process' photos, but here's how it turned out:
It has some stripped pieces I created last year after I got Rayna Gillman's book "create your own free-form quilts", which I highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn to play with piecing.  At any rate, I used the pieces along with scraps of un-pieced fabrics, and decided to go with an angular layout.  And I had lots of fun figuring out what to do to quilt it - fairly simple mostly, although I did do some free-motion quilting on the blue leaf-motif batik and one of the strips with copper color and a flower and vine motif.  I like this well enough that I think I'll put together a couple of placemats with the same or similar fabrics... great way to use up some of my stash, isn't it? 

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yes, a great and easy technique to make a dent in the scrap pile!