Monday, June 11, 2012

Experimenting on twill

After my friend Joyce finished making up the Golf Cart seat covers, she had a huge number of small cotton twill scrap pieces left over.  Joyce has a business making a number of products but uses commercial fabrics exclusively, so she had no real use for these scraps.  So when she offered them to me... white cotton... I mean, how could I say 'no'?  This is like a whole toyshop full of toys for a kid!  So I now have them in a bin, and decided to use one to test how the fabric would take soy wax batik.  It's pretty thick, compared to the muslin I use in my dyeing and batik projects, but I have ideas for products using this fabric.  So, I am in the process of doing a couple of tests, and here is my progress so far:
I stamped batik onto the pre-soda soaked fabric, then used a foam brush to apply some unthickened dyes, then set it to batch last night.  My plan now is to apply some more wax, then paint on more dyes.  I have used this technique for other 'samplers':

This is a great way to play with dye and wax, and you never know how it's going to come out!  Soon, I hope to try my new stencils with some dye... need a few more items to get ready, but with all those scraps of fabric I will be elbow deep in colorful fabric pieces before long!

 

No comments: