Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Taos fiber art update

Good Grief... time has flown by since the last time I posted about this piece, but the truth is... until the past few days, it has been languishing while I worked on a huge project!  I finally finished that and a couple of others, and then I had to clean the studio... it was in total disarray, and filthy to boot!  Soooo... here is a picture showing some of the progress I have made on "Outside Taos" since January:

I actually went and bought the frame I will use for it when it's done, and that made me take measurements to see what the finished size should be:  16" by 20" when I complete it.  That meant doing a little cropping, and that was fine with me.  I have folded back about 4-5 inches of the right side to reduce width to 20", and that eliminated a problem area that I was going to have to deal with.  Since my last photo update, I have done quite a bit of free-motion stitching on the trees, the latest being on the portion of foliage that juts out from the left.  Then today, I fused a little more of the orange/yellow fabric to the left side of the middle tree.  Now I need to do more stitching... lots more!  Eventually I will work down the middle where the horse is, and finish by stitching the foreground.  I may add some edge-stitching to the top of the mountain range, but have no plans yet for stitching in the sky.  I think I will know eventually if I need to do anything there.  I can't wait to see how it will look framed.  The one I did last year blossomed beautifully when I framed it, and the hope is that this one will too!  I am aiming to finish it in the next month or so, as I plan to have it on display for our annual Open Studios Prelude exhibit in August.  Helps to have a time frame to aim for!   

No comments: