Monday, February 7, 2011

More batik experiments

I have been wanting to use batik more in my clothing line, so I decided to do a little experimenting today.  I pre-soda soaked a tank yesterday and let it dry.  This morning, I selected some implements to apply the wax, then gave a little thought to how I wanted to position the different shapes.  I decided to use a washable marker to create a diamond-shaped grid on the front of the tank, then used the tools to wax each diamond.  Then I selected the dyes I wanted to use.  Here is the shirt after applying dyes to the diamonds:
I used a "sprong" for the concentric circle, a pvc pipe for the continuous circle, and a foam brush I notched for the parallel stripes.  Then, to create the lines between the diamonds, I used a piece of craft wood that is about 1/4 inch thick by  about 5 inches long.  Once the wax was hard, I stretched the tank on a piece of foam board I had covered with contact paper, and anchored the bottom of the tank with t-pins.  I drew a sketch of the design so I could plot out the color placement.  Even with all that planning, I still ended up with a couple of places where the same color was in adjacent shapes, darn it!
Once the dyes have 'batched' and dried, I plan to paint wax over the front and dye the back of the shirt with black, using low water immersion technique.  I'll post a picture of the final result once it's done, so check back! 

No comments: