Saturday, February 5, 2011

Batik Sampler

I've been really inspired by the experiments I see posted about over here lately!  So I decided to get back to playing with batik... I actually applied the wax to the piece shown here about 2 months ago, but haven't had time until today to dye the fabric!  At any rate, I decided to do a simple dye paint with dyes I already had mixed.  The main experiment here was the varied items I used to apply the soy wax:

Implements included foam stamps, potato masher, nail-head stamp, stamp made from bamboo skewers, sprong, dowel, some kind of circle (don't remember!) and I think I did some freeform painting.  To apply the dyes, I used a foam brush.  Note the bleeding on the left side, where the turquoise is feathering into the lemon yellow... I love that!  I will let the dyes dry, then rinse/wash.  I'll take an 'after picture and post when that step is done.  For those who prefer ironing out their wax, I still like washing out the wax in hot water, but I'm sure interesting results could be had with the ironing method as well!

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

Like the new look of your blog, Judy...although it is a bit hard to read those font colors on the green background. Love the batik, too!