Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New Caftan


I really love making these! First I dye the fabric, then I do the few steps needed to turn it into a caftan... easy-peasy! For this one, I thought for awhile about how I wanted to dye it, and once I had the colors and pattern in mind, it just came together. I love this pattern, and even though the colors aren't ones I usually use, I do love how they blended together! I used Dharma's Burgundy, Maroon, Charcoal, Better Black and New Black. I applied the dyes with a squeeze bottle, batched for an hour, then added my soda ash solution and batched for another hour. The fabric is cotton gauze crinkle cloth, which I love working with! It has a nice texture, is very easy to manipulate, and is comfortable to wear. I just posted this to my shop, and hope to get one or two more made up before Open Studios at the end of the month.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Lovely!

Cate Rose said...

This is absolutely awesome Judy -- the BEST piece you've dyed, IMO. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Judy, this is eie-popping, beautiful work!!