Wednesday, July 1, 2009

More Pole Wrap experiments

Yesterday, I overdyed the black/tan tank that had a ghost image of the straps and neckline. I think it's an improvement over the first version:


Then I went out and bought one of those big orange buckets at Home Depot, and tried it out on a new tank:
I actually used black dye, but didn't have the 'scrunches' tight enough in the middle area, so there was very little pattern. I ran it through a bleach bath (have no idea what the bleach:water ratio was... just added bleach to hot water and soaked for awhile!). At any rate, the pattern is now more visible, and I am greatly encouraged by the fact that I didn't get any 'ghost' patterns. My next experiment, I plan to do a couple of things differently. I want to angle the striping, so will need to probably tack with masking tape while I wrap with string (btw, it takes lots of string to do this around a bucket!). I may also try using some thread to stitch the outer edges together across the back side of the bucket. I will take pictures so you can see the stages. Meanwhile, let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Chris said...

The 5 gallon bucket idea sounds like a perfect solution. I just bought a rayon skirt to Shibori dye for my days at the art gallery. I'm am so grateful to see your last 3 posts. I love the newest purple tank. Yummy!

Connie Rose said...

They're looking great, Judy. I especially like today's black/tan shirts. Great job!