Sunday, February 25, 2018

And even more Mixed Media!

I can't seem to stop!  In my last post, I mentioned wanting to do a piece that is reminiscent of work I have seen by Isobel Moore, a mixed media textile artist from the United Kingdom.  But as I worked on this next piece, I found myself veering off in my own direction. Inspired by both Isobel Moore and Carol Nelson another mixed media artist, I ended up with this:

I haven't framed or mounted it yet - it is not a standard size, so I'm planning to buy stretcher bars, stretch some fabric over them and mount the piece on the fabric.  

After finishing the above piece, I decided to try one using a piece of driftwood and some seed pods I had on hand.  I also had an unpainted canvas, some hand dyed scrim, painted corrugated cardboard, and some other items.  Here's what I came up with:
I had a vague idea of what I hoped to accomplish here, but it came out even better than I had hoped.  One bonus was that I found a piece of rust-dyed lutradur I have had forever... given to me by 
(I forget!) because (I forget!).  But it was a perfect background for the composition.  I did a color wash on the canvas to blend with the colors of the piece, cut the lutradur to fit the canvas, then used matte gel medium to attach the lutradur.  I continued affixing each layer, some with the gel medium, the 3D items with E6000 glue.  Before I glued the driftwood, I used waxed linen to tie the clay bead to it, then glued the driftwood and seed pods.  
Much as I like the first piece in this post, I think the one above is one of my best pieces of wall art in a very long time!  
I see myself spending time walking the trails to scavenge for cast off wood and other organic items, and I also plan to start visiting the junk shops looking for rusty metal things, old fabric, and probably some old books with yellowed pages, or sheet music I can use as the base layer to future compositions.  I think I have found a new obsession!  Stay tuned for more... 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

More fun with mixed media

I finished my first 3 wall hangings, using the same general pattern, but varying colors and combinations of embellishments.  The first 2 are framed and hanging at the Arts Connection Gallery at Flagstaff Mall:
This was the first one, using hand dyed fabric for the background, dyed twigs, torn art paper and painted corrugated cardboard I made last year, fabric beads, dyed cheese cloth (aka scrim), gold braid, ladder yarn, a pipe cleaner wrapped with eyelash yarn, and embroidery floss.  It's 6" by 13", and is framed in a shadow box.

This one had pretty much the same combination of materials, plus I added some washers.  So happy to be using some of the art papers at last!

Yesterday, I finished this one - 9" x 20".  It was a little more difficult, due to the larger size.  Plus, I finally figured out that it would be easier if I would wait until all the hand stitching was done before I added the twigs!
Oh, and I added a "bundle" as a focal point - a piece of dried black walnut, wrapped with scrim, yarn and a couple of beads, plus a couple of dried Coreopsis blooms.

Now that I have found my comfort zone with these, I am going to spend some time creating more embellishments  and see if I can find other ways to use these techniques for future projects.  I would also like to try and incorporate some machine stitching into my pieces, ala Isobel Moore, whose work I really admire.  Sadly, she has nothing published about her techniques, so I will just have to play and see if I can use her work as inspiration.  So the journey continues with no end in sight!  Stay tuned...